Pages

Properties (Around the Green)

AROUND THE GREEN


Like many English villages in the past, commercial life and events centred on the village green.  Hallow’s triangular village green lies alongside the busy A443, no longer an ideal location for village events and celebrations, now more often held on the playing field. However the May Day celebrations with maypole and Morris dancing, revived in 1950, is still held annually on the village green.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS PAGE CONTAINS THE RESEARCH AND HISTORIES OF -


CEDAR HOUSE,  THE DOWER HOUSE,  ELMLEY COTTAGE,  LEA HOUSE AND LEA COTTAGES, THE MALTHOUSE AND BARLEY MOW COTTAGES,  MARYLAND COTTAGE,  THE NEW HOUSE, THE OLD FORGE,  PINCH COTTAGE,  POST COTTAGE,  ROSEMEAD,  AND SPILLSBURY COTTAGE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Although now totally residential, many of the properties bordering the green hold clues to their commercial past. The Old Forge, Barley Mow Cottages, Post Cottage all hint at their histories. Old photos and documents reveal also the locations of a public house, a malthouse, a butcher, baker, tailor, petrol station and garage, a doctor and district nurse, a coffee shop and an animal pound all on and around the green.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEDAR HOUSE



Early findings are rather confused and need further research to confirm details.  They are as follows:

1867:   John Forty died and left the property to his wife Eliza.  This could have included at least two of the Cedar Cottages from which she received rent.

1892:   William Wilding (a schoolmaster) is recorded as living at Cedar House, possibly renting it?

1910:   Eliza died whilst living at Cedar House

1911:   As per John’s will, a year after Eliza’s death the property was bought by Constance Smith

1953:   The next recorded owner, Charles Walters (Police Constable) sold the property to Mabel O’Malley for £2,300.

1962:   The property was bought by John Mallalieu.

1971:   He sold the property to John & Beatrice Deare Oldman, who in –


1986:   sold Cedar House to the present owners.


BIH 2010

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DOWER HOUSE




1441 - The earliest reference to a dwelling on this site is from the Rent Rolls dated 1441 – “ A garden now a cottage.owned by John Forster.

1613 - A cottage with 6 selions or six butts of land is owned by Elizabeth Edy and her son Walter. A selion was approximately a strip 22 yds wide by about 220 long. The reference to “butts” suggests irregular parcels of land perhaps due to adjacent properties.

1661-1695 - we find reference to the same amount of land owned by Eliza Edway, plus other parcels of land, near Moore brooke (possibly present day Laugherne brook). Perhaps the Edway family had acquired more land.



1747 - Doherty map and in the rent rolls as “a cottage together with 6 seliones of land and a small parcel called Millbroke”.  The owner was Mrs. Costin Homestall.



Interesting that all the owners were women. But also interesting is that no reference is made to the cottage itself. The important asset was ownership of the land and no doubt what it could produce. Quite a different set of values to those of today.





1923 - It is not known when the present house was built. A parcel of land at the rear was purchased in 1923 from George Harvey Young who was a blacksmith.


1950 - Ownership passed at some time to Miss Bramwell until her death in 1950 when she willed it to the church as a home for retired clergy and their families until 1999. It consisted then of two cottages Sigston North and Sigston South. Miss Bramwell was” high church”. She had an
addition built onto the back of the house which was used as a chapel. She may have had a disagreement with the then vicar as she attended a church at Clifton. Rev. Moreton, who had lived in China, resided in the Dower House for a time with his two daughters. Othe residents included Miss Angela Niblett daughter of a Gloucestershire vicar and Betty Birch, widow of a vicar. Interesting that women still seem to predominate! This suits wonderfully the present day name of Dower House.


dower house is usually a moderately large house on an estate which is occupied by the widow of the late owner. The widow, often known as the "dowager" usually moves into the dower house, from the larger family house, on the death of her husband, the new heir occupies the now vacated principal house.


In the case of the British royal family there is a dower house in London as well as the country. Well known royal dower houses in London have been Clarence House, Marlborough House, and for a brief period Buckingham Palace then known as Buckingham House. Frogmore House has served as Windsor Castle's dower house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELMLEY COTTAGE


1441 -  is the first date a building is recorded on the land where Elmley House now stands.  At this time it was owned by John Forster who also owned several other pieces of land.  The building is described as “currently a new cottage”.

1461 -  cottage and land is inherited by son Nicholas Forster.

1477 -  cottage and land is “forfeited by Nicholas Forster because he did not repair”.  It passes into the hands of William Weaver.

1534 -  land passes into the ownership of Joan Parker, daughter of William Glover, a descendant of William Weaver.

1604 -  the owner is listed as Thomas Hall who “surrenders” to Thomas and John Edway

1613 -  the original land holding is split up and the part containing this piece is sold to Peter Goodman.

1675 -  sees a further split and one cottage with two parcels of land becomes the property of John Yeats who also owns the pound.

1774 -  sees the land and cottage remaining in the hands of the Yeats family, now Judith Yeats.
Elmley House, 2010

1840 -  Tythe map shows that the cottage is owned by John Bellamy Reynolds who also owns the land to the side where Maryland Cottage now stands.  The land included a rick yard and he paid a yearly rent of ten (old) pence (10d) to the vicar.

1898 -  the cottage is recorded as being owned and occupied by Benjamin Lock.  He was the brother of Frank who was licensee of the Crown.  It later passed to Charles Henry Lock.

1936 -  the building is listed as Elmley House (not “Cottage”) and Charles Lock has moved to Peachley Manor in Broadheath.  Elmley House is owned and occupied by Harvey Thomas Lane and later his son Harvey who marries Catherine.

1951 -  Horace and Grace Baggott buy the house and their family lives there throughout the 1950’s and 60’s .

1970’s -  Bungalows were built in the orchard at the back and ownership passed to Dr and Mrs Mason.

1997 -  owner Judge Perkins adds a substantial extension to the property.

1999 -  Elmley House is purchased by Jason and Julie Hales.


2007 - The Hales sell to the current owners.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEA HOUSE & LEA COTTAGES (COMBINED)



To read the research, please click here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE MALTHOUSE AND BARLEY MOW COTTAGES



To read the research, please click here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARYLAND COTTAGE


The cottage at the forefront of this picture (Rose Cottage) of what is now Maryland Cottages was sold by the Executors of Mrs Emma Doughty in 1905.  It was demolished in the early part of the twentieth century and the land that it occupied now forms part of the gardens of the current houses.

1477 -  the original cottage forms part of a collection of parcels of land and various buildings which were owned by the family of John Forster.  His son Nicholas forfeits them to William Weaver due to the fact that he didn’t look after them or the land that they were part of.

1604 -  the land becomes the property of Thomas and John Edway along with several other cottages and parcels of land held prior to this sale by Thomas Hall.

1661-1774  - the land and buildings are owned by the family of John Yeats who also owned Elmley House (next door)

1840 -  Tythe Map shows the cottage being held by John Bellamy Reynolds who also owns the orchard nearby.  It was occupied in 1840 by Charles Roberts who paid a yearly rent of 1 shilling and 3 pence (1/3d) – about 7 new pence.


1845 -  sees the birth of the first member of the current owners’ family – Henry Gibbons who grows up to become a bricklayer and labourer.

1935 -  Maryland Cottage becomes two separate dwellings linked by a first floor level bridge.  There is a foundation stone in the archway between the houses commemorating the building of the second dwelling.

1936 –  David Gibbons marries Phyllis Barlow.

1950 –  Phyllis M. Gibbons became the sole owner and since that time there has been a series of tenants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The New House” (left hand cottage) 

“The Cottages”  - 1800s


1840 -  occupier Joseph Hughes at a rent of 2d.

1871 – April 2ndoccupiers William Barrow (Farm Labourer) and family and Joseph Hughes (Highway Labourer)

1881 – April 3rdoccupiers William Barrow (Farm Labourer) and family.

1891 – April 5th -  occupiers William Allsopp (Blacksmith’s Spiker) and wife.

1901 – March 31stoccupiers William Allsopp (Striker at Carriage Works) and wife.

Pre 1903 – owners Thomas Brooks (of late a Linotype Operator in Birmingham) and Alfred Palmer (Gardener) of Moseley Turning, Hallow.

1903 – August 5thnew owner Harriet Brooks (wife of Thomas Brooks deceased).

1911 – April 2ndoccupiers William Holloway (Old Age Pensioner) and Sarah H Moway (age 80).

Pre 1917 – occupiers William Allsopp then W. Rouse.

1917 – July 18thnew owner Emily Kate Young – occupiers Mr Rouse then later Mr Hopkins.

1926 – April 26thnew owner Elizabeth Evans – occupier George Hopkins.

1933 – August 2ndnew owner Florence Emily Wootton (daughter of Elizabeth Evans) – occupier William Hallow (or Howell).

1937 – January 9thnew owners James Gunn and Charles Aspey (the builder not the butcher) – occupier Mr Mann.

1939 – cottages demolished.

1939 – rebuild started but not completed until after the war.



1951 – September 28thDeed of Partition of cottages, Mr Gunn now owner of the left-hand cottage.

1982 – June 22ndnew owner Winifred Ethel Gunn (wife of James Gunn deceased).

1985 – September 25thnew owners Michael Edward and Sheila May Badgery.

1990 – December 14thnew owners Philip Christopher and Shona Kathleen Lane.

1993 – October 18thApplication for an extension granted.

1998 – July 13thnew owners, present occupants.

Both cottages were called “The New House” until the owners of the right hand cottage changed its name to “Rosemead”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE OLD FORGE



1335:   Granted to Henry & Petronella Mareschale; cottage with a certain Smithy next to the Greeen.  Henry licensed to hold a tavern.

1400:   To this court came Philip Smith and took 1 cottage with cartilage and 1 Smithy in which John Smith lately held.

1441:   Thomas Beone, Blacksmith, for 1 cottage recently rebuilt!

1685:   Thomas Buckley, Snr – a cottage situated in Hallow with a garden with by estimation, half an acre, rent 3s. 4d. Thomas, George and Henry, sons of aforesaid Thomas Buckley, Snr, Blacksmith.

1738:   Rebecca, widow of George Buckley; a cottage with a garden in Hallow containing half an acre.

1778:   Deeds show that a Richard Nash, aged 41, Blacksmith, & his wife Mary, lived in the Cottage.

1804:   Deeds: Richard Houseman, a Carpenter & Wheelwright.

1832:   Mark Young born, son of R. Young

1840:   Tithe Map Awards: Mary Bourne is the landowner: the occupiers are William Hodkins & Richard Young.  The rent is 1s 4d.

1851:   Richard Young is Blacksmith and Letter Receiver (Post Office).

1876:   Mark Young is Blacksmith and Letter Receiver (Post Office).

1891:   George Henry Young born, son of Mark Young.


1920:   Auction brochure (sale of Woodfield Estate): Lot 20:- Village Smith & Cottage – let by Mr. G. H. Young as tenant.  Included is a weighing machine & office (Worcestershire County Council).  The Smithy is built of brick and tiled: the Cottage is brick, half timbered and thatched & contains sitting room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms and outside closet (Bob Bayliss, future occupier, remembers it as a double one!) together with brick and tiled outbuildings, comprising four-tie cow house, barn and a pigsty.

1938:   George Henry Young, Bob Bayliss’ great grandfather, passed away.  The land where The Old Forge outbuildings stood was sold to Burden the Bakers of St John’s who had 2 houses built there for his workers.

1944:   Bob Bayliss lived at The Old Forge from birth.

1953:   Emily Kate Young, Bob’s great grandmother, planted a pink horse chestnut tree on the Village Green to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

1956:   Bob’s family move out whilst an extension is added to the rear of The Old Forge: Bob remembers a “drink house” at the rear of the property where his grandfather made cider.  To the right of the cottage was a dairy and an oven.

1958:   The thatched roof is replaced with tiles.

1960:   Bob’s family buy The Old Forge and move back in.

2001:   Bob’s father Alf Bayliss passes away, ending a Fourth Generation of continued ownership.  Cottage put up for sale.

2006:   Present owners, purchase The Old Forge after considerable extension and modernisation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PINCH COTTAGE


8.12.1869
Ann Lloyd of Ludlow inherited, as a result of the death of Mary Weston, 3 cotages and gardens (1 being Pinch Cottage) rented by James Harper, Joseph Hughes and John Hooper.  The annual rent was £5 each.

5.09.1870
William & Ann Lloyd sold property to Thomas Allen.

1878
Thomas died and left his wife Martha Allen, together with his son William Allen, Pinch Cottage.

17.10.1890
Property passed to William Allen, the younger.


24.11.1909
The property was now owned by William Holder (Retired Farm Bailiff) who died and The Cottage was sold at Auction for £227.10.00 to Joseph Thorpe (Nurseryman) & then sold to George Henry Young (Blacksmith & Wheelwright)

1920
Property was sold to Ernest Edwin Dunn (Bank Clerk) for £370.10.00.  Bounded on the East by Cherry Orchard, formerly owned by Mrs Wheeley-Lea.  On the West by Hallow Green, on the North by the Occupation Road and on the South by the property of Miss Everton, formerly in the occupation of William Holden, now of Miss Clary.

1922
Mr. Dunn sold the property to J. E. Davis.

1940
Upon the death of Mr. Davis the property passed to his wife, Mrs. EllenMary Davis who appointed her son, Mr. Albert Edward Cleff to act on her behalf.

1950
The property was sold to Mrs. Violet Bufton for £1050.  A clause was added that said the new owner could not use any part as a garage workshop or petrol/oil service station.

1979
The present owners bought the property at Auction together with Cherry Orchard and Apple Orchard.

INTERESTING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION




Throughout the research there is mention of 3 cottages, all referred to at different times as Pinch Cottage .  Did the 3 cottages become one or are there two other properties in Hallow that were originally called Pinch Cottage?

Pinch Cottage?  There are surrounding fields that are called “Pinch” on early maps.  It would be interesting to research this further when looking beyond The Green.

When the present owners started to rebuild the Cottage they found evidence that suggested that some part had been rebuilt or that, perhaps, there had been a fire?  Some beams had gone and brickwork had been painted to look like black beams.  The property had no footings suggesting an early build.  Other building styles suggested that some parts could have been as early as 16th Century.

At the side of the property was a timber and glass extension from which Mrs. Watkins, Mrs. Bufton’s mother, sold sweets.

An old metal sign was found in the Cottage which depicts a Phoenix and indicated that the residents had insured the property in the event of fire.  The sign was fixed to an outside wall and could be clearly visible thus ensuring that the Fire Service would attend if there was a fire.

The old pump and well, which has been preserved by the owners, was used regularly to refill the Steam Engines travelling along the Occupation Road in front of the property.

The transformation from ancient to modern



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POST COTTAGE



To view the research, please click here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Rosemead” (the right hand cottage)

“The Cottages” – 1800s.




1840 -  occupier Henry Deakin at a rent of 5d.

1855 October 26th - tenant Stephen Barber, rent 6d.

Prior to 1865 the Church owned the property.

1865 – August 3r4d – new owner Thomas Cowles.

1871 – April 2nd -       occupier John Hooper (Pensioner from Horse Artillery and wife)

1872 – March 25th -    new owner Thomas Allen (bought from William and Ann Lloyd), occupier John Hooper, and oven and cellar under part of premises in the occupation of John Clay.

1881 – April 3rd -        occupier John Hooper (Pensioner from Horse Artillery and wife.

1891 – April 5th -        occupiers Ann Davis (widow) (Charwoman) and Rosa and Samuel Brooks (boarders).

1901 – March 31st -    occupier William Potter (Bootmaker) and housekeeper.

Pre 1903 -       owners Thomas Brooks (of late a Linotype Operator in Birmingham) and Alfred Palmer (Gardener) of Moseley Turning, Hallow.

1903 – August 5th -    new owner Harriet Brooks (wife of Thomas Brooks deceased.

1911 – April 2nd -       occupier Harriett Doughtry (Elementary School Head Teacher) and son.

Pre 1917 -                   occupier Catherine Corbett, then F. Griffiths.

1917 – July 18th -       new owner Emily Kate Young – occupier Mr. Griffiths, then Mr. Goodwin.

1926 – April 26th -      new owner Elizabeth Evans – cottage unoccupied.

1933 – August 2nd -   new owner Florence Emily Wootton (daughter of Elizabeth Evans) – cottage unoccupied.

1937 – January 9th -   new owners James Gunn and Charles Aspey (the builder not the butcher) – occupier Mr Mann.

1939 -                          cottages demolished.

1939 -                          rebuild started but not completed until after the war.

“The New House” and “Rosemead” – 2010


1951 September 28th – Deed of Partition of cottages, Mr. Aspey owner of the right hand cottage.

1979 – to present day -         new owners.

Both cottages were called “The New House” until the present owners changed the name of the right hand cottage to “Rosemead”.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPILLSBURY COTTAGE



To view the research, please click here